S’mores With Oats
I had no idea there was a National S’mores Day!
Waking up to news like that is right up there with discovering a hundred dollar bill in the pocket of jeans you haven’t worn in a year. The excitement had me leaping out of bed to do a little jig, not caring in the least that I was grinding wayward cheerios into the carpet (I was too tired last night to vacuum) (don’t ask why there are even cheerios on my bedroom floor).
It is my absolute favorite desert, and I’ve been known to camp out at a fire pit on the beach from 7:00 in the morning just so we can have S’mores after it gets dark. There is nothing like chocolate and marshmallows melted over a roaring fire.
I don’t have a fire pit handy, though, and damn if I wasn’t going to have S’mores on National S’mores Day, so second best is to make it at home. I have a go to recipe that I found a few years ago, and despite the heat wave we’re having I cranked up the oven and made some S’mores With Oats.
S’mores With Oats
1 c. oats
1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. butter, melted
1/2 c. chocolate chips
2 c. mini marshmallows
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Combine oats with butter. Press into an 8″x8″ pan
3. Bake for 10 minutes and remove from oven
4. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and marshmallows
5. Bake 10 minutes or until marshmallows are golden.
6. Cool pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars and devour!
A FEW TIPS
- I tripled the recipe, so my baking time was longer- I added 8 additional minutes and used an 8×12 pan.
- Use parchment paper so you don’t have to clean melted marshmallow off your pan! I have a serious addiction to using parchment paper while baking now.
- If you don’t mind your bars cold, cool in the fridge for some added firmness.
There IS one thing that oven baked S’mores have over fire roasted ones- the marshmallow topping turns into a beautiful golden CRISPY top layer. Sooo delicious. Even my husband, who doesn’t really like sweets (yeah, I can so NOT relate to this) loves these bars.